Wednesday 18 February 2015

Essential Items of Clothing (Part 3)

Welcome to Part 3 of this mini series. I hope you have agreed with Parts 1 and 2. By now I am starting to run out of the big everyday items. This essentially leaves only accessories. I'm a bit reluctant to suggest what you should get for accessories. Accessories are one area where you can and should be able to express yourself. Despite this, I guess there certain types of belts, socks, ties, even shirts, that you should definitely have. By all means go out and get the most ridiculous looking accesories items if you like them. However, among all these items I hope that you consider the following.

7. Belts
Belts are often an item of clothing that gets overlooked when it comes to owning a quality essential piece. This is simply because all standard belts (black/brown with a metal buckle) generally look the same. It takes a certain person (usually gay) to really notice what belt you are wearing (not to mention good eyesight as more often than not it will look like you are investigating somebody's crotch). Therefore, for some people, the only time they justify an expensive belt is when its for show and is bought in poor taste.
Rugged Leather Belt
So that being said, why bother spending a lot of money on an item that basically looks like the $20 knock off? Well for starters a belt should compliment your clothes. Its the finishing touch that keeps you looking sharp. An honourable mention goes to RM Williams for the quality of their leather goods. However, I don't really identify with being a farmer so my choice is from Ralph Lauren. Depending on its purpose, you could go for a great everyday belt such as the rugged leather belt shown above.

Chunky Roller-Buckle Belt
However, if you're after a fancier belt that can be used for everyday wear in addition to formal occasions, might I suggest the chunky roller-buckle belt; also from Ralph Lauren

8. Socks
After a long day (even if there's a lot of sitting involved) you will find there is a massive difference based on what kind of socks you wear. Your socks are very much part of your identity so I will keep it general. There are always two issues with most socks; odour and chaffing. You could try the *Silverescent socks (apparently they have silver in them to help with odours...?) such as those from Lululemon which are supposed to suppress the odour. However, I've found that this can generally be counteracted by simply wearing thicker socks. This poses the next problem. With a market so saturated with socks, what should you choose as an essential?
Solid Crew
I'd suggest you go with long black sport socks when it permits. My choice is the solid crews from Adidas Originals. I've always been skeptical of sports socks, but unlike a lot of sports gear, these work. You get great elasticity in the socks such that it doesn't feel like your toes are being suffocated. They are ridiculously comfortable and any smells seem very manageable compared to office socks that end up sweaty and slippery.

9. Jackets
In Australia, our winters are relatively mild compared to other parts around the world. As such, the most important jacket you will own is a mid weight versatile jacket. I'm not here to tell you which jackets you should or should not get but one that you should definitely own is one that falls in the causal to almost semi formal range. As such, this rules out hoodies and dinner jackets as your most versatile jacket.
Nylon Field Jacket - The Closest I could find
What you are looking for is something that has the comfort of a hoodie and is less formal than a dinner jacket. For me, my choice is the the easy jacket from Scotch and Soda. Goes with everything and you can dress it up or down as required.

Before I conclude part 3, I'd like to summarise my thoughts. With these 9 items, you basically have the 'essentials' set for your wardrobe. With that in mind, I encourage you to fill the rest of your wardrobe with items that allow you to express your identity. That's why I generally left out tops and accessories from these posts. So until next time, my closing words are to remember to question why you like or identify with an item before you buy it.

#Hanbaobao

To stay up to date with all the latest posts follow me on:
Instagram: @the_over_correction
Facebook: facebook.com/theovercorrection

Alternatively, any sharing of a post using the share bar below would be greatly appreciated and would be greeted with multiple imaginary high 5's.

No comments:

Post a Comment